Have you ever heard about a summary paper? If you are assigned to develop one, this article will be helpful for you to read. Making the first steps in the world of essays and other academic papers, you should be prepared for different tasks. Lack of knowledge puts you at a disadvantage. Luckily, it’s time to fill the gaps discovering how to write a good summary.
How to Start a Summary Paper?
Brief history of a summary: definition
What kind of essay is a summary? It is a short version of a longer writing paper that saves the value of original text delivering the same ideas to the readers. The goal of this type of the paper is to summarize the key points.
Structure and length
How to write a summary paper? This kind of writing papers, as usual, shaped the same 5-paragraph way as a typical essay. You are expected to write an introduction, develop the body, highlight a conclusion, and so on. However, the main distinctive feature of the piece is its size, as all the paper must be squeezed in 1-2 paragraphs. By the way, you can easily find a template for writing a summary.
- Be succinct. Writing research paper summary, do not explain your thoughts in ten sentences when five can do. The concrete figures might help to avoid long explanation if it is possible.
- Only key ideas. Learn how to select essential facts and suggestions from those of the second importance.
- Do not express your opinion. The piece is about author’s ideas and his attitude toward the issue. Keep out your own thoughts on this occasion. Represent the writer’s arguments impartially; make your own voice silent.
First Steps: Preparation
- You have to scrutinize what you are summarizing. It demands reading the studying piece several times. It will be wise to take some notes while reading. You need to look specifically for the crucial ideas of the future writing. Take advice: before beginning, you have to find an example of a summary of the article.
- Identify author’s argument. It is typically what the writing piece is about: you must determine the author’s fundamental thesis.
- Find proofs. As a rule, at the beginning of a new paragraph, you can define some arguments. Look through the text to identify the key focus.
Example of a Summary Paper: Learn the Rules
- Start writing with the source’s information. Each sample of summary includes the title of your work and authors’ name. It is how your readers know that you are summarizing other author’s work.
- Write the draft. How to start a summary? Include the primary point of each part in your own way. You may use your notes to build a structure of future writing paper.
- Use quotes. If you are going to cite author’s words, place them in quotation marks. However, avoid frequent citations. In general, a template for writing a summary includes 1-2 quotes.
Writing a Summary Paper
- Use high-level vocabulary. For your summary, expressing the relationship between ideas, choose academic English. Occasionally, you should use expressions like “the author claims,” or “the article emphasizes” when you are presenting his arguments. Stick to general writing standards and avoid wordiness
- Check errors. Read your academic paper thoroughly. Pay attention to the possible mistakes. Make your grammar, punctuation, and style flawless. You can use online checkers as a helpful hand.
- Smooth transitions. You have to connect separate ideas in the cohesive summary so that all paragraphs of the paper fit together. Otherwise, your piece will include random statements. To combine the following parts, you should use transitions. Ensure that your ideas are putting well together, and you logically present your thoughts.
- Avoid repetition. Sometimes, reporting the main ideas, we unconsciously return to the same point several times as a way to stress the key points. However, reading one paragraph summary template, you understand that you don’t need this. Therefore, rereading your paper cut any repetitive points.
- Revise the length. Normally, a summary is less than a quarter compared to the original text.
- Ask to check your work. When everything is done, you need some fresh eyes for further improvements. Another person may notice a point or an argument in a different way than you have.
Know More about Executive Summary
What else should you know about a summary? If you’ll ever develop a business plan, you will need to summarize. CEOs, lenders, investors, executives, and managers are always busy to read 100-page documents. You have to be succinct to deliver your key thoughts to financing institutions. How to write an executive summary for a paper? The first paragraph explains what your organization does. The beginning needs to compel the audience to read the rest of your document. Stick to the executive summary format research paper.
Crucial Tips You Must Remember
Your summary must be objective and free from your own opinion. Even if you disagree with the writer, do not break the rules.
After you have completed your summary, check it for places to omit or modify words. For instance, you can eliminate terms, such as “almost,” “very,” “indeed,” etc. Moreover, look if it is possible to cut some details. However, do not distort the fundamental ideas, as they must be accurate.
Put the initial text aside when you start writing. Trust your memory. In this way, you will be capable of explaining your summary using your own words and style. Don’t rewrite the initial article, as you are not supposed to re-arrange the word order in someone’s writing. When you summarize, precisely formulate your ideas.
This document doesn’t have a strict word limit, but it must be as brief as possible. It can be a challenging type of the paper to write so that try to structure your writing piece around the outline first. You should find a sample of a summary and gain some extra insight into proper writing. However, in case you are worried about your grades, consider bringing on outside assistance of decent writing services. If you still want to complete the assignment alone, remember that your primary task is to deliver author’s voice and his major findings.